|Director: Joe Johnston
Writer: Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely
Role: Sebastian Stan (James Buchanan “Bucky” Barnes)
Genres: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Release Date: July 22, 2011
Cast: Sebastian Stan (James Buchanan “Bucky” Barnes), Chris Evans, Hayley Atwell, Tommy Lee Jones, Hugo Weaving, Dominic Cooper.
Marvel’s “Captain America: The First Avenger” focuses on the early days of the Marvel Universe when Steve Rogers volunteers to participate in an experimental program that turns him into the Super Soldier known as Captain America. – Marvel.com
- To prepare for his role as Bucky, Sebastian Stan watched many World War II films/documentaries, and drew inspiration from Band of Brothers (2001).
- The sniper rifle Bucky uses to save Cap is a modified 1941 Johnson rifle, which was adopted in limited numbers by the US Marine Corps.
- Sam Worthington and Will Smith were in early talks for the role of Captain America. Later on Garrett Hedlund, Channing Tatum, Scott Porter, Mike Vogel, Sebastian Stan, Chris Evans, Wilson Bethel, John Krasinski, Michael Cassidy, Chace Crawford and Jensen Ackles were on the final shortlist for the role. Kellan Lutz, Ryan Phillippe and Alexander Skarsgård carried out auditions, but ultimately the role went to Evans. Stan eventually secured the role of Bucky Barnes.
- Sebastian Stan was considered for the role of Captain America, but got the role of Bucky instead.
- When Captain America attacks the base and finds the prisoners, he finds Bucky strapped to a table and very out of it. Later Bucky falls to his apparent doom into the frozen river. In the comics Bucky becomes the Winter Soldier, so these events set up his return in Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) and other films in the MCU. Plus, speaking together with some crosstalk, Joe Johnston, Shelly Johnson, and Jeffrey Ford said on the audio commentary that the experiments performed by Zola enabled Barnes to survive the fall shown in the film.