|Director: Anthony Russo, Joe Russo
Writer: Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely
Role: Bucky Barnes / Winter Soldier
Genres: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Release Date: May 6, 2016
Cast: Sebastian Stan (Bucky Barnes, Winter Soldier), Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Anthony Mackie, Don Cheadle, Jeremy Renner, Chadwick Boseman, Paul Bettany, Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Rudd, Emily VanCamp, Tom Holland, Daniel Brühl
Marvel’s “Captain America: Civil War” finds Steve Rogers leading the newly-formed team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity, but after another incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability, headed by a governing body to oversee and direct the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers, resulting in two camps—one led by Steve Rogers and his desire for the Avengers to remain free to defend humanity without government interference, and the other following Tony Stark’s surprising decision to support government oversight and accountability. – Marvel.com
- The day before filming a fight scene with Robert Downey Jr., Sebastian Stan sent him a video of himself doing intense bicep curls in front of the decapitated head of an Iron Man suit. He attached the message, ‘Looking forward to our scene tomorrow Robert.
- When the production of the film wrapped up, Sebastian Stan and Anthony Mackie raced each other while in their super hero suits.
- The filmmakers describe Bucky Barnes as a divided character, saying, “He’s not Bucky Barnes anymore, he’s not the Winter Soldier anymore; he’s something in between. There’s a part of his personality that was under mind control, and he murdered a lot of people. So he’s got a very complicated history. Who is that person? How does that character move forward?”
- When Steve and Bucky remember going on a double date in Brooklyn when they were younger, the Captain mentions Bucky’s date was a redhead named Dolores, with the nickname Dot. That description fits with one of Peggy Carter’s nemeses from Agent Carter, Dottie Underwood, also exploited as a weapon by the Soviets.
- In the film, when Bucky, Captain America, Falcon, and Black Panther are first captured Bucky is placed in a cell marked D23. D23 is the official fan club for The Walt Disney Company and the fourth D23 Expo was held on August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California, where the first footage from the film was screened.
- During the scene where Bucky Barnes / Winter Soldier is in Bucharest, Romania, he is shown to be buying plums at a fruit market. Plums are actually beneficial in treating those with Alzheimer’s disease (a form of dementia characterized by memory loss), which therefore is suitable for Bucky because he has been brainwashed and is trying to remember his life before the Winter Soldier.
While fighting the Winter Soldier, Black Widow asks him, “You could at least recognize me.”. This is a reference to the Soviet Scientist she was guarding when she was shot by the Winter Soldier. This may also be a reference to a storyline in the comics where the two were romantically involved, or the story she told in Captain America: Winter Soldier of being shot by him while in a mission. Or from their scenes in The Winter Soldier when again he was trying to kill her.
- Bucky’s code name “Winter Soldier” could have multiple sources of meaning. Winter could represent his maintenance as he is kept on ice whenever he’s inactive. It could represent that he is a relic from The Cold War or that his humanity was stripped to make him the coldest of assassins.